Titel

Life in Music inspired by Joe Henry


zondag 8 maart 2020

Women sing Waits

Come on up to the House : Women sing Waits 
An album released a few months ago to celebrate Tom Waits' 70th Birthday.  



With a little delay, I finally got to listen to these songs.

I remember when news of this album came and the tracklist was announced,  some of my Waits-fan-(but first of all) good friends where sceptical. I'll address this to expectations and desires of what they wanted to hear, thinking about Waits.

When it comes to why I love Tom's work, I also will talk about his own strange world, the sounds, the stomping, the 'Clang-boom-steam'. I'll first listen to Bone machine, Raindogs, Real Gone... That's me.

Regarding this album; I didn't have any expectations, until I read who where the women, and which songs they would bring. I was not disappointed....

As a matter of fact, it made my appreciation even bigger (if possible).  I am actually convinced that it where only these women who could make that possible.
I(we) tend to put Tom's musical genre, in the picture. It is Waitsian. But what this album puts on display is, and we know this off course, is what a great songwriter Tom is.

Men have also covered Tom's ballads, but because you have a male singer, I start to compare. But here : It are these interpretations who give the song, and not a Waits song. That has an enormous power for me. This time the song became free of its father. It became itself. It took for me these women to do that.
I think it is only the beauty of women who can bring out this beauty. They wrap their arms around me, and I am again that little boy in his mother's arms. 

I was not planning on giving my song-to-song analysis, and if you'll ask me if I like each interpretation, the answer is no. Not alone is it a rare thing that I like each song on an album, there is also a matter of personal taste...
But I do want to name the openingtrack 'Come on up to the house' by Joseph.  There is a weird blanket of sadness, hope and comfort in their version. It's the girl that intrigues you, and you'll never be able to put your finger on it.





Would I have written the same words on this album a few years ago ? I asked myself.
I think I have to admit I'd probably would not.  Like I said; Tom's more cracked funk, is my thing.

M.C. Escher


You see, I am culturally and artisticly shaped by European Avant Garde. My DNA exists of Brecht and Weill, There is Stravinsky and Ravel, M. C. Escher, Alfonse Mucha. Panamarenko in my own Country, Horta, ....  The Black Rider. 

 





The Americana music was not my world. It is only by wandering around in Joe Henry's world that I discovered the beauty and warmth of this family. Through his words, poetry and eyes my (musical) world reshaped, and expanded. 

So now I'm sitting here, listening to these women singing these beautiful songs, and I love it. I am happy.

Much Love,
Stefan.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten