Titel

Life in Music inspired by Joe Henry


woensdag 10 februari 2021

A salut to Birds of Chicago

 "Farewell is not Goodbye..."

 ...was the news 'Birds of Chicago' gave us last week. For an indefinite period of time they will put this project to rest, and walk other paths. The most important in that is Alli's solo career, with her first record coming up later on the year.
I remember the first time I spoke with them in 2016, Alli already mentioned an idea of a solo-record. Do you remember that, Alli ? Because that idea,... I hope it will be made one day... And with the same enthousiasme I'm looking forward to your first one.

 

 


It is no surprise that 'the Birds' crossed my path when Joe produced 'Real Midnight'. I had to look it up again, it was January 2015 when I mentioned them for the first time. They had just announced a crowdfunding-campaign for that Joe Henry-produced album.

Verry quickly, continuing over the years, I fell in love with their music. Their spirit and kindness. I've seen them connecting with their audience. I remember the first time I saw them perform in Belgium. It was not long after the ISIS attack on Brussels Airport. There was a lot of fear among people over here in those days. And in that moment;  especially Alli had an amazing openness. People came to her with their sorrows, and she comforted them and gave them strength. 

You start with being as loving and kind to the people that you come in to daily contact with. (Allison Russel, 2016)

The last time I got to see them perform was in 2018 for the 'Love in Wartime' tour. After a wonderful show, I found it for myself a little 'over-the-top' to purchase both : and the CD - and the Vinyl, so I just went for the CD. Looking back I should have gotten both it seems.
You see, even today, I still genuinly love the artwork of that album. (Designed by Fetzer Design, photography by Yves Assad). It reminds me of Vinyl-artwork from Blue note records in the 60's, combined with a 70's moviestill.  That design passes the test of time. It remains wonderful. The CD is still on display in my house, but it deserves even more. 


They would be back in April 2020, but the corona pandemic made that impossible. So actually guys... You owe us a last set of concerts over here.
... I'll leave that hanging in the air....

And look now, 6 years later, The birds have grown, and it's time to leave the nest.

JT and Allison have become friends over the years. I just don't get to see them a lot. There is an ocean between us, and I am not really a globetrotter. So I was always looking forward to the moment when their schedule hit European grounds.
I had the privilege to enjoy their company over here, and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in whatever constellation. (This Pandemic has to end someday...) 

Tonight they are going out with a blast !

Much love and greetings,
Stefan

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten