Titel

Life in Music inspired by Joe Henry


vrijdag 15 november 2019

The Gospel According to Water : Out today

It is hard for me to write about this album, because everything this album does to me, is almost impossible to write in words. Joe has found music to do it, so it is more important to listen to him, than to me.

There is no sound left in these walls,
the hallowed ground and long ago heard it all––
of spirits’ rise, of spirits flown,
just like the one that once I called my own

I remember clearly the moment when I heard of Joe's Cancer-diagnosis. I remember being lost for a while, and simply staring out of the window,... . Famine Walk, the openingtrack of this album, displays perfectly, in music, in sound, in words... how I sat there. It could have been the soundtrack for the mood I was in.


The album was first announced with the single 'Bloom'. This wonderful song was accompanied by a strong videoclip. The camera filming Joe in 1 shot, Close on his face. In an age where we are used to videoclips with an average shotlength under 1 second, we receive here a clip that challenges us as an audience. It is no free toy you get with your fast-food. It demands of you to be engaged, And if you are, you will discover that it can be, not only for Joe, but maybe even more for yourself, a confronting experience. Slowely you flow deeper in to the core of it all.






You look and listen
      You see and hear
            You think and feel



I find, If you embrace it, a wonderful experience. It is poetry !

I expanded my definition of poetry, and see Poetry for Everyone. It is more to me than rhymes and difficult words. Everything that can make me aware of the essence of things, I see as poetry. It makes me Feel.

It could be in the written word or the visual image.
             It could also be in the way words are spoken or sung. 
                           Maybe you hear it in Music ?

Sometimes the unexplainable ... is perfect ... is poetry....

Without naming it that, we all can witness it. It can be everywhere. Sometimes it is just a flicker of a second where everything around me made sense, and I genuinly felt that moment happen.

That is why I can't write about this album.Who am I to give directions? It is your journey, Live it !

This album will strike different strings for everyone, but be sure : 'It will !'  I am sometimes struck by lyrics, then by music, or the whole. Then, suddenly, on 'In Time for Tomorrow' I hear Birds of Chicago sing the backgound gospel, and I'm genuinly moved to tears. It is probably 1 of the most beautiful songs I've heard over a long time. Such beauty needs to be shared.

This album takes me on an emotional journey, that moves like water.

This album makes you feel. It is poetry.  Poetry for everyone !



Much Love,
Stefan

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten